Children and Sedation Dentistry--Yay or Nay?

« Back to Home

How To Find The Right Dentist

Posted on

If you have a problem with your teeth or gums, then you are probably considering a visit to the dentist. However, there are actually several different types of dental experts. It is important to understand which division of dentistry is best suited to helping you. Here are some of the specializations that you are most likely to need:

General Dentist

Commonly referred to as a family dentist, a professional general dentist, like those at Northland Village Dental Centre, can treat and diagnose a wide variety of dental conditions. They can perform basic procedures such as cleanings or filling cavities, but they will probably refer you to a specialist if you need something more intensive, such as braces or an implant.


These professionals deal with dental pulp. Beneath the enamel of the tooth is a thick layer of pulp, which surrounds the nerves. If the pulp is infected, the nerves might also be in danger. If the nerves are damaged, you will experience excruciating pain. An infection of the dental pulp will necessitate either removal of the tooth or a root canal.

Endodontists also deal with tooth trauma and cracked teeth, since such damage can often result in pulp damage.


If you need braces, then you will be consulting an orthodontist. One of the first fields of specialization in dentistry, orthodontics revolves around the correction of misaligned teeth and gums. For instance, if you have crooked teeth, an overbite, or an underbite, then an orthodontist can help you.


Since children have some specific dental problems that adults don't have (such as the natural growth and removal of baby teeth or the emergence of adult teeth), there is an entire field that specializes in children's dentistry: pedodontics. Also known as pediatric dentistry, this field also deals with educating children on proper oral hygiene and cleaning. It is important to instill children with a solid understanding of the benefits of brushing and flossing in order to prevent serious health problems later in life.


This field deals with the structures that support teeth, such as gums and the alveolar bone. If you have sustained trauma to the jaw, you might need to see a periodontist for therapy and corrective surgery. Similarly, if you have an infection in your gums, then your dentist or doctor might direct you to a periodontist.


Finally, prosthodontics deals with the creation and installation of dental prosthetics, such as customized veneers, dentures, or crowns. If you need to replace missing teeth or repair teeth that have been damaged, you might need a prosthodontist.